Kolkata has transformed in the last four and a half years, thanks to the vision of Mamata Banerjee. From well lit roads to beautified ghats, renovated parks to an improved transport sector – the City of Joy is on a path of progress.
Kolkata has been adjudged the ‘Best City in Crime & Safety’ category by India Today in the year 2014. Kolkata is the safest city in terms of incidents of crime against women, according to National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).
The law and order system was completely overhauled in the city with creation of new police stations, installation of CCTVs, use of drones for crowd management.
Here are some achievements of the Ma, Mati, Manush government in the last four and a half years in transforming Kolkata:
- An area of 132 sq km was included with the then existing area of Kolkata Police with effect from 1st September, 2011 making it co-terminous with KMC jurisdiction.
- 3 community policing projects, like SAMPARK and SUKANYA, initiated by Kolkata Police for involving under-privileged youth as well as for providing self-defence training to school girls
- Construction of Minority Bhavans sanctioned for all the districts including Kolkata to ensure easy access of the minorities by providing a single-window facility
- West Bengal Livestock Development Corporation (WBLDC) is selling fair-price chicken through 48 outlets of its own and 46 outlets in collaboration with Kolkata Municipal Corporation, West Bengal Poultry Federation, Bengal Dairy and Government Dairy in Kolkata and its suburbs to maintain stability of price
- To serve hygienic meat to the people, WBLDC has converted 20 outlets into Hygienic Meat Processing Units
- Centre of excellence established in Mominpur in collaboration with Reynolds for imparting training in garment manufacturing
- Training courses of 5 years initiated for skilling 5,000 people as jewellers by ASSOCHAM
- Headquarters of 24X7 flood control rooms in the districts established in Kolkata, as well as toll-free helplines, flood data dissemination through e-governance
- Operationalisation of Jai Hind (Dhapa) and Garden Reach Water Supply Scheme
- Beautification and development of Hooghly riverfront on the Kolkata side, including the beautification and illumination of Millennium Park
- 78 modern scientific waste compactor stations set up at various points in the city. Already 300 trash bins were set up on the roadside for use of pedestrians, shop-owners and commercial purpose