LONDON: Mohammed Zaman a Bangladeshi-origin owner of a restaurant in northern England went on trial today charged with manslaughter after Paul Wilson with a severe nut allergy died as a result of dining at his restaurant.
“Tragically for Paul Wilson, Mohammed Zaman took none of those opportunities and ignored all of the warnings he was given,” prosecutor Richard Wright told Teesside Crown Court in North Yorkshire.
Indian Garden the restaurant owned by Zaman, followed the popular trend among Bangladeshi’s restaurateurs to use popularity of Indian food in the UK.
Wilson, 38, was found dead at his home in Helperby, North Yorkshire, after buying a takeaway containing peanuts from Indian Garden in January 2014. He had reportedly told staff at the restaurant, in Easingwold, that his meal must be nut-free.
“An analysis of the curry recovered from the plate in the kitchen of Paul Wilson’s home also demonstrated that peanut had killed him. Less than three gram of the sauce from the curry would have been sufficient to give rise to the level of peanut in the stomach,” the prosecution claims.
Owner refused to accept any charges about use of nuts of low quality;The trial is expected to last around three weeks.
Symptoms of Nut allergy:
Allergic reactions to nuts can vary from mild to very severe, and are sometimes life-threatening. Symptoms often start very quickly, within an hour of having come into contact with a nut, and sometimes within minutes. Reactions that take place more than four hours after coming into contact with nuts are unlikely to be an allergy.
Signs and symptoms of a mild allergic reaction can include:
- Your mouth and lips tingling.
- Your face swelling.
- Feeling sick.
- Nettle rash, or hives (urticaria).
- Colicky pains in your tummy (abdomen).
- A feeling of tightness around your throat.
Signs and symptoms of a more severe allergic reaction can include:
- All of the above.
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing due to an asthma-like attack, or swelling around your throat.
- A sense of impending doom.
- Dilation (opening up) of your blood vessels, which can cause:
- General redness of your skin.
- A fast heart rate.
- Low blood pressure, which can cause you to feel faint or to collapse.
This severe reaction is called anaphylaxis and without quick treatment you would soon become unconscious. A small number of people die every year as a result of this kind of severe reaction, usually because they do not obtain treatment quickly enough. If you think you are having an anaphylactic reaction you need to call an ambulance straightaway and obtain immediate medical help.
About 1 in 3 people with a nut allergy have an initial reaction to the nut, followed by a second reaction between one and eight hours after the first. This is why it is important to stay in hospital after an initial reaction