President of India Condoles the passing away of Dr. A.R. Kidwai
In a message to his son, Shri Monis Kidwai, the President has said, “I am sad to learn about the passing away Dr. A.R. Kidwai, an esteemed colleague and a dear friend of long years.
A freedom fighter, distinguished Parliamentarian and administrator, Dr. Kidwai served the nation in various capacities including as Governor of Bihar, West Bengal, Haryana and Rajasthan. For his life-long services, the grateful nation honoured him with ‘Padma Vibhushan’ award in 2011. In his death, the nation has lost an eminent leader whose services to the nation will always be remembered.
Please accept my heartfelt condolences and convey them to the members of your family. I pray to the Almighty to give you and your family the strength and courage to bear this irreparable loss”.
He studied BA at Jamia Millia Islamia University, 1940, M.Sc at University of Illinois, US, 1948 and PhD at Cornell University, US, 1950.
- National Committee on Science and Technology, 1968-75.
- Perspective Science and Technology Plan Committee of the Department of Science and Technology and the Planning Commission.
- Council and the Governing Body of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) 1970-73.
- Board of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Governing Bodies of Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow and Central Institute of Chemical Technology, Hydrabad.
- Regional Imbalances Enquiry Commission, Jammu and Kashmir State, 1979.
State Planning Board and Heavy Industries Plan Committees, Government of Uttar Pradesh.
- University Grants Commission (UGC) and Chairman of the Central Universities Review Committee, 1985-86.
- Central Advisory Board of Education.
- Central Council of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
- Committee on New Education Policy, 1986 and Chairman of its Sub-Committee on Non-Formal Methods of Education.
- Member and Patron Delhi Public School Society (1968-continued).
- Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, India.
- Chairman, Review Committee on Unani Medicine, Ministry of Health, Government of India.
- Chairman, Selection Board of Scientists Pool (1968–79).
- Chairman of the Board of Assessment of Educational and Technical Qualification for Employment, Ministry of Education, Government of India (1967–79).
- The American, British and Indian Chemical Societies.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science.