Croatia’s Luka Modric may have lost the World Cup 2018 finals to France but got the prestigious Adidas Golden Ball as the competition’s best player. Members of the FIFA Technical Study Group determined the winner at the conclusion of the Final.
Belgium’s Eden Hazard and France’s Antoine Griezmann finished second and third to receive the Adidas Silver Ball and Adidas Bronze Ball respectively.
Presented to the outstanding player at each FIFA World Cup™ since 1982, the adidas Golden Ball award has always highlighted truly exceptional players. The full list of winners:
- 2018: Luka Modric (Croatia)
- 2014: Lionel Messi (Argentina)
- 2010: Diego Forlan (Uruguay)
- 2006: Zinedine Zidane (France)
- 2002: Oliver Kahn (Germany)
- 1998: Ronaldo (Brazil)
- 1994: Romario (Brazil)
- 1990: Salvatore Schillaci (Italy)
- 1986: Diego Maradona (Argentina)
- 1982: Paolo Rossi (Italy)