Snowfall over the Hills and Hailstorm over plains of Northwest India
Analysis of Weather Conditions
The Western Disturbance as an upper air cyclonic circulation lies over Iran and neighbourhood extending upto 4.5 km above mean sea level with a trough aloft with its axis at 5.8 Km above mean sea level runs roughly along Longitude 50°E to the north of Latitude 28°N. Under its influence, an induced cyclonic circulation is likely to form over West Rajasthan and neighbourhood by 14th February. An interaction between Western disturbance and Easterly wave is likely to take place over the plains of Northwest India from night of 13 February onwards.
- Fairly widespread to widespread rainfall/snowfall would occur over Jammu & Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh during 13-15 February and over Uttarakhand during 14-15
- Fairly widespread to widespread light to moderate rainfall/thundershowers would occur over Punjab, Haryana & Chandigarh from evening of 13 February to 15
- Scattered to fairly widespread rainfall/thundershowers would occur over West Uttar Pradesh on 14 February and over entire Uttar Pradesh on 15
- Isolated to scattered rainfall/thundershowers would occur over Rajasthan on 14
- Heavy rainfall/snowfall would occur at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh on 14 February. Thunderstorm accompanied with isolated hailstorm is very likely in these states on 13-14 February.
- Heavy rainfall would occur at isolated places over Punjab, North-Haryana on 14 February. Thunderstorm accompanied with isolated hailstorm is very likely over Punjab, Haryana, North-Rajasthan on 13-14 February and over Uttar Pradesh on 14-15
- Gusty winds of the order of 30-40 kmph is most likely to prevail over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi/NCR, Uttar Pradesh and North-Rajasthan on 14
Night temperatures are likely to increase by 2 to 3oC over northwest India during next 3 days and fall by 2 to 3oC after 15 February onwards.
Forecast for Prayagraj (Kumbh Mela)
Light to moderate rain/thundershowers with possibility of strong surface winds (30-40 kmph) and isolated hailstorm is likely on 14-15 February.
Forecast for Delhi/NCR
Generally cloudy conditions with light rain/thunderstorm likely to occur from night of 13 February to 15 February. The light rain/thundershowers accompanied with strong surface winds (30-40 kmph) and hailstorm at isolated places is most likely to occur over Delhi/NCR on 14 February.