RPF Launches “Operation Number Plate” across Indian Railways- A Drive against unattended/unclaimed vehicles in all Railway Premises
By PIB Delhi
Railway Protection Force (RPF) of Indian Railways launched a Special Drive with a Code Name – Operation “Number Plate”to identify and verify all vehicles parked in Railway premises, circulating area, parkings and even in the ‘No Parking’ areas for longer duration. It was launched under the direction of DG/RPF, Sh. Arun Kumar with active cooperation of the Local Police and Commercial Department of Railways.
The unidentified vehicles are considered as a serious threat to security and safety of passengers and other stake holders of railways. It has been conducted specifically in view of forthcoming celebrations of Independence Day on 15th August 2019.
- This was conducted as a special drive from 9th August to 11th August at 466 Railway Stations all over Indian Railways
- During the drive, 04 vehicles were recovered which were reported to be stolen and cases were registered previously by the Police.
- 3943 Vehicles were found parked unattended/unclaimed for more than 05 days in the authorized parking lots of Railway stations.
- Credential of suspected 894 such vehicles is being verified and suitable action will be taken as per the outcome of enquiry.
- Similarly, 2034 vehicles were found parked in ‘No Parking’ zones for more than 01 day. Credential verification of 28 such vehicles, which are suspected, is being inquired into.
- During the operation 549 vehicles were towed away and have been deposited with Police for further investigation.
- A fine of Rs. 59000/- have been recovered as the charges for unauthorized parking.
Principal Chief Security Commissioners/RPF/All Zonal Railways have been instructed to continue this activity looking into threats related to security of Railways.