- RED warning issued for Andhra Pradesh & Yanam (Puducherry) Coasts
- Landfall today afternoon around Kakinada
17 December 2018: The Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘PHETHAI’ over westcentral Bay of Bengal moved further northwards with a speed of 24 kmph during past 06 hours, weakened into a cyclonic storm and lay centred at 0830 hrs IST of 17th December, 2018 over westcentral Bay of Bengal near latitude 15.8°N and longitude 82.2°E, 370 km north-northeast of Chennai (Tamil Nadu), 120 km east-southeast of Machilipatnam (Andhra Pradesh) and 130 km south of Kakinada (Andhra Pradesh). It is very likely to move nearly northwards and cross Andhra Pradesh coast around Kakinada during 17th December afternoon. However, due to unfavourable environmental conditions, it is likely to slightly weaken further before landfall and cross coast as a cyclonic storm with a wind speed of 70-90 kmph gusting to 100 kmph.
Cyclone ‘PHETHAI’ is also being tracked by DWR Chennai, Machilipatnam and Vishakhapatnam apart from Satellite and other observations. Forecast track and intensity are given in the following table:
|Date/Time(IST)||Position (Lat.°N/ long.°E)||Maximum sustained surface wind speed (Kmph)||Category of cyclonic disturbance|
|17.12.18/0830||15.8/82.2||80-90 gusting to 100||Cyclonic Storm|
|17.12.18/1130||16.2/82.2||80-90 gusting to 100||Cyclonic Storm|
|17.12.18/1730||17.0/82.5||70-80 gusting to 90||Cyclonic Storm|
|17.12.18/2330||17.8/83.0||50-60 gusting to 70||Deep Depression|
|18.12.18/0530||18.4/83.5||30-40 gusting to 50||Depression|
- Heavy rainfall warning
|Region||17 December 2018*|
|Coastal Andhra Pradesh and Yanam district||Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy falls at a few places over coastal Andhra Pradesh & extremely heavy falls (≥ 20 cm) at isolated places over north coastal Andhra Pradesh(East & west Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, Krishna, Guntur, Vizianagaram & Srikakulam Districts) and Yanam district of Puducherry.|
|Odisha||Rainfall most places with isolated heavy to very heavy falls|
|Jharkhand||Rainfall at many places with isolated heavy falls|
|Chhattisgarh||Rainfall at most places with isolated heavy falls over south Chhattisgarh|
|Gangetic West Bengal||Rainfall at most places with isolated heavy falls|
Legends: Red-Take Action; Orange- Be prepared; Yellow- be updated; Green: No warning
Note 1: * Rainfall till 0830 IST of next day. Note 2: Red colour warning means take action. It does not mean red alert.
(ii) Wind warning for Andhra Pradesh, north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south Odisha coasts
· Squally wind speed reaching 55-65 kmph gusting to 75 kmph prevails along & off Andhra Pradesh. It is very likely to increase gradually becoming gale wind speed of 70-90 kmph gusting to 100 kmph along & off central Andhra Pradesh coast (East & west Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, Krishna, Guntur, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam Districts and Yanam district of Puducherry) during next 12 hours. Gale wind speed reaching 60-70 kmph gusting to 80 kmph is likely to prevail along & off remaining parts of Andhra Pradesh coast.
· Strong wind speed reaching 30-40 kmph gusting to 50 kmph likely along & off South Odisha coast on 17th.
- Wind warning for Sea areas
· Gale wind speed reaching 80-90 gusting to 100 prevails over westcentral Bay of Bengal around the system centre and is very likely to become 70-80 kmph gusting to 90 kmph during next 12 hours.
· Strong wind speed reaching 30-40 kmph gusting to 50 kmph likely over northwest Bay of Bengal on 17th December.
- Sea condition
The sea condition is very high to high over westcentral Bay of Bengal around system centre. The sea condition is very likely to be high over westcentral Bay of Bengal and along & off central Andhra Pradesh coast and Yanam district of Puducherry during next 12 hours. It will be very rough along & off remaining parts of Andhra Pradesh coast and rough to very rough along & off north Tamilnadu and Puducherry coasts during same period.
(v) Storm Surge Warning
Storm surge of height of about 0.5 m to 1.0 m above the astronomical tides likely to inundate the low lying areas of Coastal Andhra Pradesh (East & west Godavari, Vishakhapatnam and Krishna Districts) and Yanam district of Puducherry at the time of landfall.
(vi) Damage Expected over Coastal Andhra Pradesh (East & west Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, Krishna and Guntur Districts) and Yanam district of Puducherry:
Damage to thatched huts, minor damage to power and communication lines due to breaking of branches. Major damage to Kutcha and damage to Pucca roads. Uprooting of small trees and some damage to paddy crops, banana, papaya trees and orchards. Sea water inundation in low lying areas after erosion of Kutcha embankments.
- Action suggested
· Total suspension of fishing operations along & off Andhra Pradesh coast on 17th December.
· The fishermen are advised not to venture into southwest & westcentral Bay of Bengal and along & off Andhra Pradesh, north Tamilnadu & Puducherry coasts till 17th December.
· The fishermen are advised not to venture along & off south Odisha coast on 17th December.
· Those, who are out in deep sea areas are advised to return to the coasts.