Address of Shri Pranab Mukherjee President of India on the occasion of presentation of President’s Colours to Defence Services Staff College Wellington, Nilgiris
- Governor of Tamil Nadu, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha, Air Marshal Ajit Bhonsle, Lt Gen SK Gadeock, student officers of the 72nd Staff Course, Ladies & Gentlemen.
- Today, on this momentous day, as the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of India, it gives me immense pleasure to award the Presidential Colours to the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington.
- Post its relocation from Quetta to Wellington in 1948; the Defence Services Staff College, has emerged as the premier Tri-Services Institution in the country, and today it epitomises ‘Military Academic Excellence’. The Staff College, founded on the pillars of ‘jointmanship and military leadership’, has played an instrumental role in enhancing the professional capabilities of the officers of the three Services to face the future challenges. It is indeed a matter of great pride that, in all the wars, the most critical and sensitive leadership has been provided by the alumni of this very fountainhead of military learning.
- It is also a matter of honour, that more than 1700 officers from 75 countries from all over the world have graduated from the portals of this unique institution and a large number of them have risen to the highest positions in their countries. I am delighted to learn that 40 officers from 31 friendly foreign countries are undergoing the present course. Each one of you is a befitting ambassador of your great nation and I am certain that you will cherish the strong bonds of friendship established by you with your peer group over a year of interactive learning. It is important that this strong relationship of goodwill develops into everlasting ties of mutual faith and warmth between our great nations.
- On this historic occasion, I also wish to record my appreciation for the Staff College having achieved the unique distinction of being accorded ISO 9001 & 14001 certification as a ‘Centre of Excellence’ in joint operations training. Similarly, the award of ‘Golden Peacock National Training Award’ for the year 2016 for excellence in training practices is a glorious achievement.
- Ladies and Gentlemen, the College provides a stimulating environment for analytical thinking towards creativity and intellectualism. It also encourages growth and development of an officer and his family; to include professionalism, social graces and value system, in accordance with the noble Indian culture and traditions.
- I am pleased to note that the Staff College is viewed as an oasis of benevolence by the local population. In addition to the academic pursuits, the College has been at the forefront of shouldering various social causes and particularly spreading awareness on ‘Clean Ganga’, ‘Swachh Bharat’ and ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padao’ campaigns. It is a matter of great satisfaction that the College has also taken up promotion of ‘Green initiatives’ of rain water harvesting, solar power generation and recycling there by contributing towards preservation of the rich eco-biosphere of the Nilgiris.
- The award of Presidential Colours is a befitting tribute to the eternal spirit of this great institution. I am certain that this historic day will strengthen your resolve for achieving all round excellence and the Staff College will continue to produce military leaders of great repute and resolve with a yearning to serve our great nation.
GOD BLESS THE DEFENCE SERVICES STAFF COLLEGE WELLINGTON AND YOU ALL