A event when become part of you lifestyle and culture then that is called way to life. Books and Book Fair is like life line for Bengal and part of her persona. International Kolkata Book Fair is one such trademark identity of Bengal. I still remember it was 1978 when I first visited Book fair which I can recall in my memory. Sugar Candy or popcorn along with fuchka was main attraction for me apart from some great comics like Tintin and Batul The Great etc.
The nostalgia still haunts every year when January ends and Book Fair starts. Now I can see the same passion in the eyes of my both daughters. Hope this passion will continue generation after generation for Bengal.
The 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair knocking at the door for her inauguration on the 30 January 2018.
During the press meet on 19th Jan 2018 International Kolkata Book Fair committee told that 2018 version will start from 31 January and continue till 11 February, 2018 and the inauguration will take place on 30 January 2018 at 5:30pm at the Central Park Mela Complex, Salt Lake, Karunamayee.
Hon’ble Chief Minister Smt. Mamata Banerjee and Ms Francoise Nyssen, Hon’ble Minister of Culture and Communication, France will grace the occasion.
The following are the highlights of this year’s International Kolkata Book Fair
- There will be approx. 580 stalls and 200 Little Magazines.
- The largest Theme Pavilion in the history of Book Fair presented by France as a part of Bonjour India Festival.
- There will be nine entry and exit gates in the IKBF 2018 for the easy movement of the visitors. The majority of the gates will be the replica of French architecture in India.
- There is a 360 degree change in the layout plan of this Book Fair as the venue has been shifted from Milan Mela Ground to Central Park which is of different shape. English publishers will be accommodated within three big A.C Hangers in the prime location of the ground. The Three halls of the Fair having mainly the English publications have been named after Priyaranjan Das Munsi, Rabishankar Bal and Chandi Lahiri who passed away recently.
- We are extremely happy to apprise you that with the initiative of Government of West Bengal under the leadership of our Hon’ble Chief Minister Ms Mamata Banerjee an additional 4.5 acres of land has been acquired, developed, illuminated and beautified for this great event of the country.
- For booklovers, Government of West Bengal will provide additional 175 shuttle bus service between Howrah station, Sealdah station, Ultodanga, Garia, Behala and Shyambazar to the Central Park Mela Ground during the fair days.
- Wi fi zone for the authors, guests and media friends.
- A special medical assistance service with ambulance and well equipped doctors, by Peerless Hospitex Hospital And Research Center Limited, Health Partner of IKBF 2018.
- International Kolkata Book Fair 2018 android and IOS mobile app to locate any stall in the fair, created by CESC will be available from play store soon.
- The website of International Kolkata Book Fair will provide all information of Book Fair.
- 29 Countries across the globe will participate at the International Kolkata Book Fair 2018. Authors from Russia, Colombia, Spain,Scotland, Australia, France, USA, Guatemala, Bangladesh will be participating in different interactive sessions and seminars with noted Indian authors.
Major events of the International Kolkata Book Fair 2018
- Like last year the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair has conceptualized a unique event called the Booklovers’ Cafe. Students from different schools will participate in extempore, Art Workshop, Creative Writing and Literary Quiz on five days at the Fairground.
- 31 January will be the France Day. On that day, Asoke Sarkar Memorial Lecture will be delivered by French trio of scholars on the ‘The Great History of Indian Literature in France’.
- Bangladesh Day will be celebrated on 3 February 2018
- Children’s Day will be celebrated on 4 February 2018.
- 5th Kolkata Literature Festival from 8 to 10 February 2018.
Management said they are indebted to CESC for their all-out cooperation towards making the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair a more interesting and more e-friendly event. There will be a CESC Corner for eminent guests of Book Fair like last year which will be grandly decorated. The daily lottery will be held from there, where CESC will distribute Book Gift Coupon worth Rs 10,000/- per day to the lucky winners.
A special ‘CESC Srishti Samman’ will be awarded this year to the highest French award winner and legendary personality Shri Soumitra Chattopadhyay.
Management also said they are specially indebted to State Bank of India-our official Banker for providing full banking facilities & a good number of mobile ATM and e services in the Fair Ground. We also acknowledge support from West Bengal Khadi & Village Industries Board, our Heritage Partner, National Jute Board-Our green partner and Novotel our hospitality partner.