Ola Launches ‘My Ride. My Cause.’ To Mobilise Support For Social Causes
- Special initiative leverages Ola’s platform to enable customers to contribute funds towards social causes
- Partners with Tata Trusts’ Alamelu Charitable Foundation to support cancer care efforts
- Ola customers to have the option of donating INR 1 per ride towards cancer care
Kolkata | May 07, 2018: Ola, India’s leading and one of the world’s largest ride-sharing companies has launched ‘My Ride. My Cause.’ on its platform to crowdsource funds and support social causes by leveraging its vast network of millions of customers across India. Ola has rolled out this special initiative through a unique partnership with Tata Trusts’ Alamelu Charitable Foundation (ACF). As a part of this initiative, Ola customers will have the option to contribute a sum of INR 1 per ride. This sum will be crowdsourced and utilized towards lending support to improve cancer care in the country.
Over the years, Ola has played a key role in building a stronger ecosystem for transportation thereby, having a deep impact on the quality of life in cities across India. Ola has worked collaboratively with various stakeholders to make this happen i.e. ensure reliable, affordable, and convenient commute at scale. Ola believes that there is a lot that can be achieved together, for the well being and betterment of the society; leveraging its platform to reach out to customers to crowdsource support is a big step in that direction. Ola has launched this special initiative by collaborating with Tata Trusts and mobilise funds for cancer care.
There is a huge burden of cancer in India with 14.5 lakh new cases reported in 2016 alone. Lack of infrastructure, skilled human resources, and cancer prevention programs aggravate the situation further. In order to bring about meaningful change in cancer care, Tata Trusts has taken on the mission to support the delivery of affordable and accessible care, and motivate people for regular screening. With millions of rides that Ola facilitates per day and huge network of customers across India, this partnership will certainly, result in mobilizing funds at scale.
Bhavish Aggarwal, Co-Founder and CEO of Ola said, “We are proud to introduce ‘My Ride. My Cause.,’ a unique and national-scale initiative to crowdsource support for critical social causes. As a homegrown and leading mobility platform, Ola is committed to enabling holistic well-being and prosperity of the country. This initiative reiterates our commitment as it will unify millions of Ola customers to mobilise funds and ensure that aid reaches where it is needed the most in our country. He further added, “Tata Trusts has been a staunch supporter of a number of pressing issues, and we are proud to partner with them and lend muscle to their efforts to strengthen cancer care in India. I encourage all our customers and employees to do their bit and join the fight against cancer.”
The contributions raised by Ola customers will enable the foundation to make cancer care affordable and available in rural and remote areas of India. Funds mobilized will help in crucial diagnosis and treatment of cancer that can prevent loss of life.
- Venkataramanan, Managing Trustee- Tata Trusts said, “Nationwide early cancer detection and access to quality care is a dire need. Tata Trusts is playing a facilitating role to establish infrastructure, develop protocols and trained personnel in partnership with multiple State Governments, NGOs, hospitals and clinicians across the country. However, this task requires collaboration between multiple stakeholders. We are grateful to Ola and are privileged to partner with them to support this noble cause”
Here’s how customers can start contributing;
- Step 1: Once a ride is booked, customers will be able to see an option to contribute INR 1 on the ride booking screen
- Step 2: Upon clicking ‘see how,’ customers will be able to see detailed information about the foundation and how their contributions will be used
- Step 3: The button at the bottom of the screen that says ‘Donate INR 1 on every ride’ enables the contributions
- Step 4: Once accepted, customers will see their contribution towards the foundation in the ride details screen for every ride. Customers can choose to opt in and out at any point of time
- Step 5: Alternatively, customers can activate contributions from the ‘Donations’ section, under Profiles in the global menu
Ola’s partnership with Tata Trusts is in continuation to the company’s commitment to be a socially responsible and an inclusive brand. Customers will be able to track the total amount of contributions made at any time and can also claim tax exemption with an 80G certificate for the contributions made (available from January 2019).