Ola Launches Street Safe, A Nationwide Road And Ride Safety Program
Program flagged off from India Gate, New Delhi
- Street Safe to focus on creating partnerships to strengthen road and ride safety.
- Focus on three key causes of road fatalities in India – Drinking and Driving, Texting and Driving, and Over Speeding.
- Ola to conduct workshops and trainings for driver partners across the country; gender sensitization workshops for 1 million driver partners
- Street Safe integrates all of Ola’s safety efforts including the recently instituted Safety Council and other safety programs under one umbrella
Kolkata | May 30, 2018: Ola, India’s leading and one of the world’s largest ride-sharing companies, today, announced the launch of Street Safe, a nationwide program to strengthen road and ride safety. The initiative integrates Ola’s safety efforts including the recently instituted Safety Council and other safety programs under one umbrella. The countrywide program was flagged off from India Gate, New Delhi.
The program involves partnering with stakeholders across the mobility ecosystem, including local authorities, safety experts, and NGOs to impact safety on a large scale. Key elements of Street Safe to include:
- Entering into local partnerships to strengthen road and ride safety for commuters across the country
- Creating awareness for three key causes of road fatalities in India; drinking and driving, texting and driving, and over speeding.
- Conducting workshops and trainings for driver partners across the country. These include organising gender sensitization workshops for 1 million driver partners in India
Reiterating Ola’s commitment to safety, Pranav Mehta, General Manager at Ola said, “Safety is a serious concern for all of us. Statistics show that one serious road accident occurs in the country every minute. As a safety-first organization, Ola, through its Street Safe program is delighted to collaborate with all stakeholders involved in public safety including the Delhi Police. Given Ola’s tech prowess and country-wide reach, our road and ride safety initiatives being launched through public-private partnerships are bound to bring in measurable impact.”
During the launch event, Ola driver partners (Heroes of Ola) and college students who displayed exemplary behaviour by going above and beyond their call of duty and helping road accident victims were felicitated. Amongst those facilitated included Goyal Yadav, Ola driver partner who helped save lives by dousing a fire in a car he spotted, while on duty, and Arun Kumar for his relentless efforts of uniting more than 20 lost children with their families.
Other safety-related initiatives;
In line with the Government’s commitment to halve road fatalities in India by 2020 as part of the Brasilia Declaration, Ola has actively helped to make transport in India safer. These multi-pronged efforts range from discouraging drunk driving through campaigns such as #PeekeMatChala, to forming a first of its kind, Safety Council for ride sharing industry, globally. The council brings together organisations and individual achievers from various sectors viz. urban transport, climate change, women’s safety, security management, traffic management, and emergency management services.