Amway India celebrates International Day of Persons with Disabilities with Narendrapur Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys’ Academy
Kolkata, 6th December 2018 – Amway India, the country’s largest FMCG Direct Selling company, celebrated the ‘International Day of Persons with Disabilities’ in association with Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys Academy in Kolkata. The highlight of the event was cricket match between students of Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys’ academy and Lighthouse for the Blind. Mr. Kajal Bandyopadhyay, Mass Education Secretary, Govt of West Bengal graced the occasion as the chief guest.
The cricket match played between the Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys’ Academy was a 10-overs match. The 7-player teams comprised of visually impaired students, with low vision and students with little vision.
Lighthouse For The Blind defeated the Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys’ Academy in this limited over special cricket match. Winner and runners team were rewarded with shields and sports gear. Mr. Debashish Chandra, Group General Manager, IRCTC graced the occasion as the chief guest. Debashish Ganguly, Cluster Operations Manager, East, Amway India was also present.
Mr. Chandra Chakraborty, Vice President – East, Amway India said, “We have been working for the cause of the visually challenged since 1998. Over the years, Amway has supported more than 100,000 visually challenged individuals lead a better life. Our aim has always been to draw attention of the society at large on the hardship of the visually challenged and help them overcome the obstacles. As responsible citizens of the society, it is imperative that we are more empathetic and sensitive towards visually challenged. We, at Amway, believe that partnership between business and the social sector is a must to achieve inclusive and equitable development. Amway has led by example and will continue to follow this path. By celebrating this day, Amway aims to not only create real opportunities for people with disabilities but also promote empowerment at the same time.”
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Biswajit Ghosh, Principal, Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys Academy said, “The aim of celebrating this day is to spread the word on disability issues and mobilise support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. I highly appreciate Amway’s initiative of celebrating this day with the visually impaired students and encouraging them achieve their goals & compete with the world.”
About Amway India CSR initiatives
- Amway India’s CSR initiatives are based on the belief that social responsibility is much more than the incurrence of a cost or a resource or a charitable/ philanthropic act of social benefit. It is an opportunity to bring in social innovation and change. This belief is articulated in Amway’s vision of helping people live better lives. When it comes to commitment to corporate citizenship, Amway India makes a serious and concentrated effort to reach out and help people improve their lives.
- Amway India supports a comprehensive CSR programme covering a gamut of initiatives including a water conservation project to improve the ground water level in 7 villages in the Dindigul district located around the manufacturing plant. Amway supports a village health program targeted at 26 villages in the Dindigul district, to provide quality healthcare to the underprivileged. The treatment includes general health check-up, select pathological tests and medicines at zero cost to the beneficiaries. In a span of over 20 months over 240 free health camps have been organised benefitting more than 50,000 people from local communities.
- Amway India set up a telemedicine center in the Dindigul district to ensure a consistent healthcare support to the villagers. This program has eliminated distance barriers and improved access to medical services in distant rural communities. The center aims at providing free medical treatment to over 7,000 patients in a year.
- Last year Amway India launched a Community Health & Entrepreneurship Program in the rural areas of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar to offer livelihood training in Entrepreneurship skills and business fundamentals with the objective to promote self-employment among women and to create awareness on affordable health and hygiene practices.
- Recently Amway India has launched the community-based nutrition education program to improve the nutritional status among children (below 5 years) in the select slum areas of West Delhi. The program focuses on prevention, early detection and improved access to care in line with the National Nutrition Mission, Govt. of India.
- As a key focus area, Amway has taken various initiatives to support the cause of visually impaired. Amway also supports underprivileged children in education, health and hygiene under a project titled ‘Sunrise’. Under this project, Amway currently supports more than 15 NGOs across the country.
- Amway India has been conferred with the ‘CSR Leadership Summit & Award’ in the category of ‘Promoting Employment for Specially-abled’.
- Amway India was also recently awarded with the ‘Best Corporate’ award in the ‘Specially-abled’ category at the prestigious National CSR Summit & Awards 2018 for its invaluable contribution towards the welfare of visually impaired by CSR Times.