The University of Birmingham Dubai invites applications for M.Sc. Urban Planning
The University of Birmingham Dubai is now inviting applications for Masters in Urban Planning for January and September 2022 entry.
This M.Sc. Urban Planning programme aims to train the next generation of urban planners, who will need to adopt a multi- and inter-disciplinary approach to address contemporary challenges and solve associated problems faced by urban regions. The teaching is based on world-leading research undertaken in the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Birmingham.
Dubai is the ideal place to study Urban Planning given its proposed expansion under the Dubai 2040 Urban Masterplan – the key challenges of realising such growth in a sustainable manner are explored in-depth in the programme.
The University brings together planning, critical urban studies, environmental science and environmental health to create a programme which addresses the major challenge of rapidly expanding urban areas that confronts both now and the future.
The key areas of understanding and skills that students will develop during the one-year full time programme include:
● Challenges urban areas face in the delivery of sustainable, inclusive and healthy places and what measures can be put in place to mitigate these.
● Opportunities and threats posed to urban areas by globalising trends, new technologies and the rapid rate of societal change.
● Impact of urban growth on the natural environment such as atmospheric pollution, water quality, and plastic pollution, as well as the various approaches that are under development to mitigate related pressures.
● Understanding of the approaches that urban areas are taking to ensure post-carbon futures.
● Changing living patterns in urban areas, the role and nature of migration, social polarisation, social disadvantage and spatial fragmentation, and how the needs of diverse communities can be met.
Course dates: January 2022 and September 2022.
Entry Requirements: A four-year Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or a three-year Bachelor’s degree (first class or good upper second class) from a recognised institution in India. Applicants with relevant work experience can also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Application process and admission details: Applications for January 2022 and September 2022 are open and there is no application fee. To submit an online application, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button on the course page.
The following information will usually be needed before a decision can be made on your application:
· One academic reference (or if appropriate to the programme applied for, it could be from your employer).
· Academic transcript(s) for all prior degrees – originals or certified photocopies.
· Personal Statement, approximately 5000 characters, explaining why you are interested in studying on your chosen programme.
· Certificate to show competency in the English language, if English is not your first language and you have already taken a test (not mandatory to submit at the time of application).
You may be required to submit further documents in support of your application.
Tuition: Overall programme tuition fee for January 2022 is AED 102,114 (Approx. £20,717) and overall programme tuition fee for September 2022 entry is AED 112,666 (Approx. £22,858).
Scholarship: Scholarship options at the University of Birmingham Dubai are designed to benefit all new students and the financial rewards can be carried forward through the entire programme across foundation, undergraduate and post graduate levels. For 2021 entry the university was offering scholarships of up to 40% based on students’ academic performance and scholarships for 2022 entry will be announced shortly.
To understand your eligibility you may contact the in-country representatives at [email protected]
About The University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham is a global top 100 university and member of the elite Russell Group of UK universities. It holds a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
The University of Birmingham was established by Queen Victoria in 1900 as Great Britain’s first civic university, where students from all religions and backgrounds were accepted on an equal basis. Renowned for its research excellence, the University’s researchers have received 10 Nobel Prizes. From pioneering organ transplants, discovering gravitational waves and furthering understanding of Shakespeare, to developing cures for cancer, advances in robotics and revealing the structure of DNA, the University has been at the forefront of some of the most ground-breaking discoveries of the last 100 years.
The University of Birmingham Dubai adheres to the same teaching standards and values as the Birmingham campus, bringing the heritage, prestige, and global recognition of the UK campus to Dubai. The University of Birmingham Dubai’s iconic new campus will be embedded with cutting-edge technology, allowing innovative, multidisciplinary teaching and learning to deliver an educational experience like no other in Dubai.
For further information visit https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/index.aspx