Gazette Notification VICE – PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, 2022
By PIB Delhi
By a Notification published in the Gazette of India Extraordinary today (the 5th July, 2022), the Election Commission has appointed the following dates for the Vice-Presidential Election:-
- the 19th July, 2022 (Tuesday), as the last date for making nominations;
- the 20th July, 2022, (Wednesday), as the date for scrutiny of nominations;
- the 22nd July, 2022, (Friday), as the last date for the withdrawal of candidatures; and
- the 6th August, 2022, (Saturday), as the date on which a poll shall, if necessary, by taken.
the Commission vide separate Notifications issued on the 1st July, 2022, has appointed Shri Utpal Kumar Singh, Secretary-General, Lok Sabha as the Returning Officer for the Vice Presidential Election and Shri P.C. Tripathy, Joint Secretary and Shri Raju Srivastava, Director, Lok Sabha Secretariat, as the Assistant Returning Officers.
As required under rule 3 of the Presidential and Vice Presidential Elections Rules, 1974, the Returning Officer by a Public Notes has notified today, the 5th July, 2022, that-
- nomination papers may be delivered by a candidate or any one of his proposers or seconders to the Returning Officer at his office in Room No. 18, Ground Floor, Parliament House, New Delhi, or if he is unavoidably absent, to the Assistant Returning Officer Shri P.C. Tripathy, Joint Secretary or Shri Raju Srivastava, Director, Lok Sabha Secretariat at the said office between 11 A.M. and 3 P.M. on any day (other than a public holiday) not later than the 19th July, 2022;
- each nomination paper shall be accompanied by a certified copy of the entry relating to the candidate in the electoral roll for the Parliament constituency in which the candidate is registered as an elector;
- every candidate shall deposit or cause to be deposited a sum of rupees fifteen thousand only. This amount may be deposited in cash with the Returning Officer at the time of presentation of the nomination paper or deposited earlier in the Reserve Bank of India or in a Government Treasury and in the latter case a receipt showing that the said deposit of the sum has been so made is required to be enclosed with the nomination paper;
- forms of nomination papers may be obtained from the above said office at the time aforesaid;
- the nomination papers, other than those rejected under sub-section (4) of section 5B of the Act, will be taken up for scrutiny in Room No 62, First Floor, Parliament House, New Delhi on Wednesday, the 20th July, 2022 at 11 A.M.;
- the notice of withdrawal of candidatures may be delivered by a candidate, or any one of his proposers or seconders who has been authorized in the behalf in writing by the candidate, to the Returning Officer at the place specified in paragraph (I) above before three o’ clock in the afternoon of 22nd July, 2022;
- in the event of the election being contested, the poll will be taken on Saturday, the 6th August, 2022 between the hours of 10 A.M. and 5 P.M. at the place of polling fixed under the rules.
Arrangements have also been made for simultaneous republication of these Notifications and the Public Notice issued by the Returning Officer in Official Gazettes of all States/Union territories.