Reliance Foundation announces 10-point relief measures for Odisha train accident affected; mobilises disaster management team to aid relief efforts
Mumbai, June 05, 2023:
“It is with immense sorrow and a heavy heart that I extend my deepest condolences on behalf of Reliance Foundation to the families who have lost their loved ones in the tragic train accident in Odisha. As soon as we learned about the accident, our specialized disaster management team was immediately deployed to facilitate the rescue effort on the ground. Our team continues to provide round-the-clock aid and assistance to the injured.
While we cannot undo the suffering caused by the tragedy, we are fully committed to helping the bereaved families rebuild their lives and prepare for the future. With this as our solemn mission, we are announcing a 10-point programme to offer our unwavering support to those affected by this unfortunate incident. Our Foundation, along with the extended Reliance family, stands in firm solidarity with the affected communities during this difficult time”, Mrs. Nita Ambani, Founder & Chairperson, of Reliance Foundation (RF), said in a statement about the railway accident that occurred in Balasore Odisha on June 2.
Below are the 10-point relief measures that will support the people affected by the tragedy, both immediately and on a long-term basis:
- Free fuel for ambulances dealing with the disaster through the Jio-BP network.
- Provision of free ration supplies, including flour, sugar, dal, rice, salt, and cooking oil, for the next six months to affected families through Reliance stores.
- Free medicines for injured to support their immediate recovery needs; medical treatment for those needing hospitalization due to the accident.
- Counselling services for emotional and psychosocial support.
- Providing employment opportunities through Jio and Reliance Retail to one family member of the deceased, as needed
- Provision of support aids to people with disabilities, including wheelchairs, and artificial limbs.
- Specialist skill training for those impacted to find new employment opportunities.
- Microfinance and training opportunities for women who may have lost their sole earning family member
- Provide livestock such as cow, buffalo, goat, and poultry for alternate livelihood support to rural families impacted by the accident
- Free mobile connectivity to a family member of the bereaved for a year to enable them to rebuild their livelihood.
Present at Balasore since the accident took place, Reliance Foundation’s specialist disaster management team closely coordinated with the Emergency Section, Collectorate, Balasore, and National Disaster Response Force. Helping passengers quickly evacuate coaches and rushing injured to emergency vehicles, to immediately make available masks, gloves, ORS, bedsheets, lighting, and other necessities for rescue at the site of the accident, Reliance Foundation volunteers were also involved in the rescue making gas cutters available to evacuate passengers trapped in coaches; also mobilized other volunteers from nearby communities for the efforts.
Registered Office: Toll-Free Number: Email: Internet:
9th Floor, Maker Chamber IV, 1800 419 8800 [email protected] www.reliancefoundation.org
222 Nariman Point, Mumbai 400021,
To ensure that rescue efforts continued uninterrupted, Reliance Foundation identified and networked with youth volunteers from the area to quickly prepare food for about 1,200 people. Meals were provided to rescue personnel, much needed for the personnel, and for families of those affected, who arrived at the accident site. Adequate drinking water was also ensured.
For more than a decade, Reliance Foundation’s disaster management team has worked towards empowering communities to be able to respond to disasters, whether natural or otherwise, and become resilient. Reliance Foundation works with communities training youth in disaster response and provides advisories to guide communities in actioning important measures before, during, and after disasters.
Through the years, Reliance Foundation has supported communities following floods, cyclones, earthquakes, and droughts and extensively during the COVID-19 pandemic through multiple initiatives aimed at ensuring relief and enabling the rebuilding of lives and livelihoods, supporting over 21 million people through over 48 disasters. Reliance Foundation has stood with the nation through every time of need and stands in solidarity, now, committed to extending its support to the families affected by this tragedy.
About Reliance Foundation:
Reliance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Reliance Industries Limited, aims to play a catalytic role in addressing India’s development challenges through innovative and sustainable solutions. Led by Smt. Nita Ambani, Founder and Chairperson, of Reliance Foundation is relentlessly working to facilitate transformative changes for the overall wellbeing and better quality of life for all. Reliance Foundation focuses on rural transformation, education, health, sports for development, women empowerment, disaster management, urban renewal, and arts, culture, and heritage, and has touched the lives of over 69.5 million people across India, in more than 54,200 villages and several urban locations. For more information, please visit www.reliancefoundation.org