Bengal’s talents are the best in the world: Mamata Banerjee at Shikshak Samipe
Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hosted a major conference on education at Netaji Indoor Stadium today. The conference, called ‘Shikshak Samipe’, is the first State-level conference dedicated to discussing and finding ways to address various issues, including ways to improve, higher education in Bengal.
All university and college professors of the State were invited to the conference. Along with Mamata Banerjee as the chief speaker, the Minister for Higher Education, and Science and Technology and Biotechnology, Partha Chatterjee, was also present at the conference.
The Chief Minister gave a rousing speech at the conference, exhorting the educators of Bengal to create the world’s best teaching infrastructure in the State. She also announced a host of schemes, both for teachers and non-teaching staff.
She also announced the setting up of Biswa Bangla University in Bolpur.
The key points of the Chief Minster’s speech at the conference:
- Bengal had 13 universities; we have established 16 more universities and 46 new government colleges.
- Education cannot be associated with political colours; education, culture, humanity and our motherland come before everything.
- We must feel proud of our motherland; this is the land of our language, our culture and our values
Education cannot be sold.
- There is no retirement age for education or educators.
- It is the professors and educators who can make our future bright and make Bengal shine in the world.
- We must go out into the world, learn, develop ourselves and then give back to our motherland. We cannot forget our roots.
- It should not be that after education, when we go out into the world, we forget our motherland.
- It is teachers who can preserve culture, harmony, knowledge and unity, and show us the way.
- Bengal has led in the fields of agriculture, science, medicine and literature, and in others as well.
- Bengal has been blessed with knowledge; no other State can match this. The talents from Bengal are the best in the world.
- Why should students of Bengal run to Chicago & Harvard? We should create Chicago and Harvard-like universities here too.
- The top researchers of the world should come to Bengal.
- We should lead the world in teaching.
- We do not promote our achievements; we should highlight our successes to counter false publicity.
- We must march ahead with true and positive facts.
- In the coming year, we have to pay Rs 70,000 crore towards the debts left behind by the previous Government; due to demonetisation our earnings have also reduced.
- We have increased the budget for education from Rs 111.74 crore to Rs 471 crore in four years.
- There is a difference between e-governance and forcing people to use cards by stopping the flow of cash. Everything cannot be done by force.
- We have started an award, Shiksha Ratna for teachers; we have introduced paternity leave too.
- Teachers would now be entitled for leave travel concession (LTC) for travels inside India after completing 10 years of service, and for travels outside India after completing 20 years of service.
- We are introducing West Bengal Health Scheme to cover college and university teachers.
- The part-time and non-teaching staff would be included in the Swasthya Sathi scheme.
- We are starting Biswa Bangla University in Bolpur on the lines of Visva-Bharati; the land has already been identified.
- We are increasing the retirement age of teachers of colleges and universities from 60 to 62.
- I wish a very happy New Year to all the teachers – may we all work together to take Bengal forward.
আজ রাজ্যে শিক্ষকদের সম্মেলনে উপস্থিত থাকবেন মুখ্যমন্ত্রী
আজ নেতাজী ইনডোর স্টেডিয়ামে মুখ্যমন্ত্রী মমতা বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায় উপস্থিত থাকবেন “শিক্ষক সমীপে” সম্মেলনে।
রাজ্যের এমন এক সম্মেলন এই প্রথম হচ্ছে যেখানে আলোচনার পাশাপাশি উচ্চ শিক্ষা কে আরও উন্নিত করতে বিভিন্ন সমাধান সুত্র খোঁজা হবে।
সমস্ত বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় ও কলেজের অধ্যাপকদের এই সম্মেলনে আমন্ত্রন জানানো হয়েছে। মুখ্য বক্তা হলেন মুখ্যমন্ত্রী; পাশাপাশি উচ্চশিক্ষা মন্ত্রী পার্থ চট্টোপাধ্যায়ও উপস্থিত থাকবেন এই সম্মেলনে।