Mercedes-Benz India commemorates 50 Years of AMG globally; drives in the fascinating, agile and dynamic Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupé
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe is Mercedes-Benz’s 10th AMG product in its diverse performance car portfolio in India
Kolkata: The country’s largest luxury car maker, Mercedes-Benz India continued its product offensive by launching the agile, dynamic and a product without any predecessor in India, the all new Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupé. With this launch, Mercedes-Benz India also commemorated the global success of its performance brand–AMG, which completes 50 successful years in 2017. This awe-inspiring SUV Coupé embodies superlative driving performance, agility and stays true to the legacy of the three powerful letters- AMG. The latest winning product from Mercedes-Benz’s global product was launched by Mr. Roland Folger, Managing Director and CEO, Mercedes Benz India and Mr. Michael Jopp, Vice-President, Sales & Marketing, Mercedes-Benz India, in New Delhi today.
Roland Folger, Managing Director and CEO, Mercedes Benz India said, “AMG, three letters that define, exemplify and evoke the racing DNA midst ardent driving performance aficionados around the world. Mercedes-Benz is celebrating 50 years of AMG globally, and AMG has sprinted from 0–50 years in a gasp of breath! In the course of this half century, Mercedes-AMG has further consolidated its position as an extremely successful sports car brand with its genes on a race track. Personally, I feel one of Mercedes-AMG’s key contributions to the world of performance motoring has been the incessant transfer of technology from race-track to series production cars, resulting in developing some of the most emotionally appealing and performance oriented vehicles.
With the launch of the Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe, we further cement our strong AMG portfolio in the performance segment.”
Folger further added, “At Mercedes-Benz India, we strive to offer the best of our products from our diverse global portfolio, for our discerning customers. To commemorate the international success of Mercedes-AMG, we introduced the Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupé for India. This SUV Coupe is going to be a key addition to our 43 AMG line and will be instrumental in further popularizing the 43 AMG range to a new customer base. The GLC 43 4MATIC Coupé combines the emotional, timeless elegance of a coupé with the impressive dynamics of a sports car and the versatility of the Mercedes-Benz GLC. The bold but never brash design sets it apart from the masses. We are confident that this brand new product will be well received by our elite Indian customers.”
Short chronology of 50 glorious years of the iconic AMG brand:
- The company founded by Hans-Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher in 1967 is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2017
- Brand positioning: In the course of this half century, Mercedes-AMG has further consolidated its position as an extremely successful sports car and performance brand with numerous successes in motorsport and the development of unique road-going vehicles
- Today, as a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG, the Affalterbach-based company represents the sporting spearhead of the Group
- For each of the now around 1600 employees, the focus will be on the brand promise of “Driving Performance”, which unites the core strengths of AMG: cutting-edge technology and a passion for dynamic, emotionally appealing products
- In 1971, AMG became famous overnight, with the red-painted AMG 300 SEL 6.8
- The plant in Affalterbach was founded in 1976
- From 1988, AMG not only constructed Mercedes-Benz 190 E racing cars, but was also responsible for their deployment in the German Touring Car Championship (DTM)
- Collaboration with Mercedes-Benz began in 1990
- The C 63 AMG, launched in 1993, was the first vehicle on the market to result from the collaboration agreement with Daimler-Benz
- In 2001, the newly developed 5-speed automatic transmission in the C 32 AMG was paired with the 3.2-litre supercharged V6
- In 2005, Mercedes-AMG became a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG.
- Unveiled in 2009, the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG was the first vehicle to be developed entirely in-house by the sports car and performance brand.
- AMG branched into motor racing with the SLS AMG GT3 in 2011
- Unveiled in 2014, the Mercedes-AMG GT model series was the second sports car to be developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG in Affalterbach
- With almost 70,000 units, Mercedes-AMG set a new sales record in 2015
- AMG started into the anniversary year with record figures under its belt, delivering almost 100,000 vehicles in 2016
Alluring Design Elements
Distinctive exterior design
- Black exterior mirror housing
- Contoured power domes on the bonnet
- LED high performance headlamps in their distinctive design and iconic “eyebrow” styled daytime running lamps
- AMG exterior body styling
- Front splitter in silver chrome in the AMG front apron
- AMG Diamond radiator grille with centrally positioned Mercedes star, typical of a coupé with single louvre
- Glass roof comprising individual glass element, finished in heat-insulating safety glass
- PRE-SAFE® closing function
- Rain closing: If it starts to rain, the sliding sunroof automatically moves to the raised position
- Increased ease of operation thanks to obstruction sensor and PRE-SAFE® closing function
- Obstruction sensor: If the system detects an obstruction, it automatically stops the closing process and moves the roof back a little individual ventilation of the interior with fresh air due to a variety of opening positions
LED Intelligent Light System
For the best possible visibility on country roads and motorways, when cornering and on bends, the LED Intelligent Light System automatically adapts to the lighting and driving conditions. All headlamp functions use LEDs for low energy consumption.
Sporty characteristics: The interior design
- 3-spoke multifunction sports steering wheel in black nappa leather, with flattened bottom section | Instrument cluster with dial in chequered-flag look
- Media Display with 21.3 cm screen in diagonal
- Brushed stainless steel sports pedals with rubber studs | AMG floor mats with “AMG” lettering | Upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather with AMG Line seat upholstery layout
AMG Instrument cluster with multifunction display
- 2 large round dials: speedometer on the left and rev counter on the right in a chequered flag design | Speedometer with full-scale reading of 280 km/h
- 2 bar graphs for fuel level and coolant temperature respectively at the bottom of the dials | Dials in a tube look with individual glass and chrome surround
- Central colour multifunction display with 21.3 cm screen diagonal | ECO display to encourage a fuel-efficient driving style |Display of the gliding icon in overrun mode
Seating – Sports seats for driver and front passenger
Seats in ARTICO man-made leather / DINAMICA microfibre – black with designo red seat belts.
- AMG Line seat upholstery layout with upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather / DINAMICA microfibre
- Upper section of dashboard in ARTICO leather
- Electrically adjustable front seats with large range of adjustment
- 4-way lumbar support for driver and front passenger
AMG DYNAMIC SELECT
The AMG DYNAMIC SELECT variable dynamic control system assigns fundamentally different characteristics to the five transmission modes of Individual, Comfort, Slippery, Sport And Sport+ which the driver is able to select using a rotary control on the center console. The system networks all the control systems, generating different driving experience parameters. The names speak for themselves: Sport and Sport+ turn the Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4M Coupé into a sporty, dynamic vehicle with pronounced longitudinal and lateral dynamics.
AMG speed-sensitive sports steering 2-stage
- Precise, agile handling thanks to direct ratio and optimized response time
- AMG-specific tuning of the manual torque for a sporty driving sensation
- Speed-dependent steering with variable steering support electronically adjusts the steering effort to the driving speed and ensures optimum steering response and characteristics at all speeds
- The reduced steering angle required improves both precision when cornering and comfort, e.g. when cornering in city traffic
Peppy Performance with an edge
The GLC 43 4MATIC Coupé features a powerful AMG-enhanced 3.0-liter V6 biturbo engine, churning out an output of 270 kW (367 hp) with 520 Nm of Torque. The SUV Coupé sprints from 0-100 km/hr in just 4.9 seconds! The NANOSLIDE® coating of the cylinder liners is also used in the Formula 1 engines of MERCEDES-AMG PETRONAS. Especially tough and, therefore, wear-resistant, this coating also reduces friction, thereby contributing to higher efficiency. The performance SUV Coupé exudes a sporty performance exhaust including backfire sound with a braking System with optimized brake cooling system. The dynamic SUV Coupé comprises the 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission that enables efficiency, comfort and dynamism of an entirely new dimension. Its high efficiency helps to reduce fuel consumption and enhances performance.
AMG sports suspension based on AIR BODY CONTROL
- Added agility, more neutral cornering behavior and higher traction
- Full-support multi-chamber air suspension system
- The four-link front axle is fitted with special steering knuckles and load-bearing joints
- All components have been optimized in terms of rigidity
- The elastokinematics of both axles have been designed to be more rigid
- Three-chamber air suspension system with a sporty spring/damper set-up and continuously variable damping adjustment
AMG Sports braking system
- Sports braking system with internally ventilated composite brake discs
- Perforated on front axle, 360 x 36 mm in size, with 4-piston fixed calipers
- 320 x 24 mm on rear axle with single-piston floating brake calipers
- The silver-painted brake calipers with black “AMG” lettering on the front axle lend the braking system a high-quality, sporty character.
Safety, assistance systems and convenience features
The Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupé is one of the safest vehicles in its segment. It comes with comprehensive safety equipment associated with all four phases of the integral safety concept from Mercedes-Benz, the components of which build on each other.
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Adaptive Braking – an integrated braking system
- Hill-Start Assist
- All round safety with 7 airbags, including dual stage airbags for driver and front passenger
- Parking package with 360°camera
- COMAND Online system
- Ambient Lighting
- THERMATIC automatic climate control
Cost of ownership
The comprehensive Star Ease (Compact Plus) package for the new AMG GLC 43 Coupe is as below:
3 year / 60000 kms – Rs. 245,000 + taxes
4 year / 80000 kms – Rs. 370,000 + taxes
Exended warranty under the Advance Assurance program for the AMG GLC 43 Coupe starts at Rs. 151,800.
About Mercedes-Benz India:
Established in 1994, Mercedes-Benz India Pvt. Ltd. pioneered the luxury car market in India and boasts of more than 130 years of cutting edge innovation in the luxury automobile industry globally. Set up in 2009, Mercedes-Benz India’s world class production facility is spread over 100 acres in Chakan near Pune. Since June 2015, Mercedes-Benz India also commenced production from its new expanded production facility located in the same premises. Mercedes-Benz India is part of Mercedes-Benz’s Global Production Network. It plays an important role in the CKD/MVP production network in Brazil, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. At these locations, Mercedes-Benz produces vehicles in various extension levels for domestic markets.
The production facility now carries an investment of INR 1000+ crores and has the largest installed production capacity for any luxury carmaker in India. Mercedes-Benz India also has the largest network spread amongst any luxury carmaker, with presence in 41 Indian cities through 89 outlets. Through the exclusive AMG Performance Centres located in 5 metros including Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Pune; the AMG performance sub-brand of Mercedes-Benz also boasts of a strong retail network presence in the country.
Mercedes-Benz India’s flagship programme, ‘My Mercedes, My Service’ launched in 2016, aims to completely redefine the after-sales experience by digitalizing service process and create unparalleled benchmark in the luxury car service domain. The launch of ‘Mercedes-Benz Approved Tyres’ in February 2017, and the ‘Approve Advanced Programme’ in May 2017, is also integral to the ‘My Mercedes, My Service’ campaign. ‘My Mercedes, My Service’ aims at enhancing the customer’s vehicle ownership experience manifold, making after-sales experience as the new differentiator in the luxury car segment. With the use of big data and in-depth knowledge of the driving pattern of Indian customers, Mercedes-Benz has been able to drive successfully, low cost of ownership for its customers.
Mercedes-Benz India product portfolio comprises the locally produced Mercedes Maybach S 500, S-Class, E-Class, C-Class, CLA luxury sedans and the GLA, GLE and the GLS luxury SUVs.
The CKD GLC was the 9th product added to Mercedes-Benz’s local production portfolio. Completely Built imported cars portfolio includes the A-Class, B-Class, CLS, E-Class Cabriolet, S-Class Coupé, C-Class Cabriolet, S-Class Cabriolet and the S 600 Guard a range of other Guard vehicles etc. The product portfolio also comprises the iconic off-roader Mercedes-AMG G 63 as well as a wide range of other Mercedes-AMG performance cars like the AMG CLA 45, AMG C 63 S, AMG S 63 Coupe, AMG S 63 Sedan, AMG GLA 45, AMG GLE 43 Coupe, AMG GT S sports car, AMG SLC 43 and AMG C 43.
The long wheel base new E-Class is Made in India, for India, the first new generation car to be locally produced since market launch. India is the first country to get an RHD version of the LWB E-Class in the world.
Mercedes-Benz India registered the quarterly sales of 3650 units in the January–March 2017 period despite facing multiple market challenges. In 2017, ‘One Team, One Goal’ will be Mercedes-Benz’s philosophy, towards achieving best customer experience. The company will have fascinating product introductions, innovative luxury retail experience, value driven finance programmes and innovative after-sales service experiences. With ‘One Team, One Goal’ philosophy, Mercedes-Benz India will continue the ‘winning’ momentum it has created for itself in the diverse Indian market.