20 things Mamata Banerjee said on DeMonetisation anniversary
Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today addressed a press conference on the occasion of demonetisation anniversary. Attacking the Centre over the decision of demonetisation, and the resultant effect on economy, she demanded a thorough investigation into the issue.
The CM said the only party to benefit from demonetisation is the ruling party at the Centre. She alleged this was a conspiracy to convert black money into white by the same party.
Here are 20 things Mamata Banerjee said on demonetisation anniversary:
1. Centre must give an explanation to the country as to why they demolished and destroyed the economy. What was the motive behind this decision? This Government is busy giving bhashans, not explanations.
2. I may not be an economist, but several noted economists have panned demonetisation. Many former finance ministers of India called it a disaster.
3. Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called demonetisation ‘organised loot’. A former Governor of RBI warned of negative impact. Arun Shourie, their own party leader, called it money laundering. Former finance minister of BJP, Yashwant Sinha, called it a disaster. Even, P Chidambaram said so.
4. On the very first day itself, I had warned of a recession, through a series of tweets. Country has already lost GDP worth nearly Rs 3 lakh crore.
5. Was demonetisation done without any planning, or was it a well thought-out conspiracy to convert black money into white?
6. Demonetisation had failed in every country – Soviet Russia, Nigeria, Lybia – where it was tried. This was a Tughlaqi decision.
7. More than 75,000 industrialists were forced to leave India and settle abroad because of the prevailing situation. Growth in investments also plummeted during this period.
8. Big market hubs in the country, like Barabazar in Kolkata, witnessed 80-90% fall in business. More than 1 lakh jobs were lost in Surat. Demonetisation and GST were double disasters for the country.
9. The Centre has failed to bring back black money from abroad. There must be a thorough investigation. What was the need for demonetisation?
10. In Bengal, we have stressed on digitisation and e-governance. We have doubled our revenues. All payments have been digitised. We have even received the Golden Peacock award for e-governnace.
11. The company Alibaba is under investigation (class action lawsuit) in China. But it is being allowed to do business in India. This is astounding.
12. Truth will always prevail. More than 100 people lost their lives. About 12,500 farmers committed suicide. The textile sector, unorganised sector and even the manufacturing sector are down. The young generation is the biggest loser.
13. Demonetisation was a bad political decision. It was also bad for governance. They have been continually shifting goalposts.
14. The ruling party at Centre hardly does any action; the PM gives only bhashan. The ministers are busy doing party work. There is no governance. Only the ruling party profited from demonetisation.
15. They said three things while announcing demonetisation. Black money will be retrieved, terrorism will be prevented and fake currency circulation will be reduced. They have failed on all fronts.
16. BJP is morally defeated in Gujarat. If they have done good work, people would naturally support them. But everyone – from the PM to the ministers, central agencies and forces – have been packed off to the State. This is a sign of moral defeat.
17. The ruling party is destroying institutions; from the RBI to the Planning Commission – none has been spared. There is no governance, only attacks on federalism.
18. Why is the media afraid? A section of the media only questions the Opposition. When it comes to the ruling party, they become His Master’s Voice.
19. All Opposition parties are protesting against demonetisation today. We have ideological differences, but we will continue to fight together with a common agenda.
20. The ruling party has lost all credibility and accountability. They have lost the confidence of the people. BJP only knows hooliganism. But we serve the people.